I was kind of late getting onboard the kale train. I read about it online and knew that it was supposed to be some magical wonder food, but I had heard from a few friends that it was tough to chew and tasted bitter. After months of curiosity, I finally bought a large bag of organic kale and forced myself to have a different kale-based salad every day for 5 days. I was pleasantly surprised! I actually liked the texture, and that it had some substance to it, as opposed to most lettuce which is thin and flimsy. It also didn’t get all soggy with dressing on it, so it is perfect for a packed lunch.
This recipe was by far the best mixture of tastes and textures out of my week of kale experiments. I have had it for lunch almost every day since!
- Shredded kale
- About 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- About 1/4 cup sliced kalamata olives
- Roasted pumpkin seeds
- Chopped red cabbage
- 2 slices cooked turkey bacon, crumbled
- 1 Avocado, sliced into thin slices
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinaigrette
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drizzle of truffle oil
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a large bowl, adding in the champagne vinaigrette last.
- Add a little bit of salt and pepper and drizzle the truffle oil.
- Mix again!
As I am sure you noticed, I did not include measurements for most of the ingredients. That is for two reasons. a) I didn’t measure when I made it, I just threw things together, and b) Everybody has different taste preferences. For example, I use a moderate amount of dressing and a large amount of olives. Play around with it and find your perfect combo!