Sweets will be my doom. I am so good all day: yogurt for breakfast, salad for lunch, baked chicken dish for dinner…and then those late night sugar cravings come calling, and all my hard work is ruined. I have a difficult time avoiding sweets. That is why being gluten intolerant is actually a bit nice at times. I have to say no to the donuts at a work meeting, or the cake at a birthday party. Unfortunately, ice cream and chocolate are my most common cravings, and they are almost always gluten free. All too often, I give in to their temptation. I enjoy apples and peanut butter, but thought that there was a way to make them even better: by adding chocolate! And thus the apple cookie was born.
- 1 large apple
- Peanut butter (or almond butter)
- Chocolate chips
- Slice the apple vertically, to create round slices
- Spread peanut butter over one side
- Sprinkle a mixture of granola and chocolate chips over the peanut butter and pat it down a little to make sure that everything sticks
- Drizzle honey over the top
If you feel like changing it up, I also enjoyed apple cookies with Nutella and candied pecans on top instead. It’s a versatile recipe, so it is easy to add flavors as you wish!