I first had a salad similar to this one at one of my favorite restaurants, and was unsure how I would feel about the unique combination of toppings. I have never been a fruit-in-salad kind of person…until I had this. It may sound like a weird recipe to those of you who, like me, are wary of mixing strong flavors, but trust me it is amazing! This is one of the most nourishing salads that I have ever had, and I love bringing it for lunch at work because it is full of vitamins and nutrients that give me the energy I need to push through the second half of the day. Plus it tastes like summer, and I like to pretend it’s warm and sunny outside even when it’s December and I live in Seattle. A girl can dream.
- Spring mix salad (2 big handfuls is usually enough for me)
- 1/2 of a red grapefruit
- 1/2 of an orange
- 1/2 of an avocado
- 1/4 cup of candied pecans
- 2 tablespoons of blue cheese crumbles
- Light drizzle of olive oil
- Light drizzle of champagne dressing
- Salt and pepper
- Remove the “meat” from the grapefruit and orange (I just cut around the edges and scoop the little slices out with a spoon) and slice the avocado
- Place the candied pecans in a small Ziploc bag and seal tightly. Using a rolling pin or something similar, crush the pecans up into smaller pieces.
- Mix the greens, avocado, grapefruit, orange, and olive oil together.
- Top the salad off with the blue cheese crumbles and crushed pecans.
- Drizzle your desired amount of champagne dressing (you shouldn’t need much since there are so many other strong flavors)
- Add salt and pepper to taste
One of the best parts about this salad is that it only uses half of the grapefruit and orange, so I like to juice the unused halves and have a fresh citrus juice with my citrus salad!
I am always searching for yummy new ways to eat vegetables, so if you have a favorite salad recipe, please go to my Contact page and share it with me!